Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Majestic Nativity


photo by krisdecurtis


Tomorrow is Christmas. Today is Christmas Eve.

Obvious, I know.

But this year I discovered a "Mystical Nativity," where the birth of Jesus is celebrated.

While driving home from the library last night, my son asked me to turn up a street. As we slowly putted up the lane, my wife and I saw something ahead of us. An inflatable?

Was it Santa and reindeer? A gingerbread family? No.

It was an inflatable nativity. Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus in a shelter. Last night I thought it was cool, but this morning I hesitate to admit that I actually said that.
Is this what Christmas has become, an inflatable nativity?


There is a Renaissance master, Botticelli who painted a nativity. Many call it, "Mystical Nativity." The London Gallery displays this tempera painting, oil on canvas.

As I researched more about his painting. I was intrigued by the symbolism and by the painting itself.

Numerous people have commented and offered their critique on his painting (Blake, Clark). Some declare Botticelli as a renegade or a rebel. Others find him a pawn of a religious fanatic. One finds him out of tune with the world--a cryptic, serious painter. B0tticelli painted it in 1500 A.D. Yes, five hundred years ago.

His depiction of the Nativity is striking. Where are the Christian artists painting Biblical themes and influencing culture? Boteccelli created a great work of art. His paintings were rediscovered in the Victorian period. He sought to influence culture through his paintings.

photo from National Gallery

I pray that a new generation of artists seek to portray a biblical worldview in the arts so that centuries in the future, others will marvel and investigate the meaning of paintings with biblical themes. We need a renewed Renaissance. May God raise up Christian artists to declare His truth to the world!
"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord (Luke 2:8-11)."

No comments: