Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Preparing to preach at Wooster Grace--one good resource


photo by Gastev

As I get ready to preach this weekend, I get to be the "other preacher" this weekend. At 9:45am at Wooster Grace we have two different preachers for the two services scheduled in our facility.  One preacher is the primary and the other one is the "back-up." 

Pastor Ivanildo and I get to preach on John 5:1-15.  He has set me up wonderfully with the sermon text and several illustrations.  I need time to make the message my own.  I enjoy preaching with all the pastors.  This time I get to preach with Pastor Ivanildo.

Our current series is "A Passion for Compassion."  Our theme is "Caring for the Sick." I intend to share God's heart on this but I find it challenging not to come across with a guilt-trip; but to let everyone who hears the message respond to what God wants them to do. 

I like how Pastor Ivanildo addresses a couple of objections, then he gives insight into what Jesus did in John 5 as the impetus for three distinct action steps you can take home.  I can't wait to share what God puts in my mind and fires up in my heart.  If you are near Wooster, Ohio, consider yourself invited.  If you can't come, then visit the message series online.  This sermon concludes our series, "A Passion for Compassion."

I find it helpful to re-read the passage and to do some preliminary exegesis (critical explanation or interpretation of a text or portion of a text, esp. of the Bible). One good resource I have used since seminary is New Testament Exegesis 1st Ed. by Gordon Fee (3rd ed. pp 134ff).  Useful and helpful short guide for sermon exegesis (pp. 117-136) lets you as Fee states, "The goal of the shorter guide is to help the pastor extract from the passage the essentials pertaining to sound interpretation and exposition (explanation and application) (quote from first edition--Fee, NT Exegesis, 117)." 

I find that a systematic way of doing things works best for me.  So for those of you starting to preach, this is a good resource to use.  This handbook involves knowledge of the original biblical language, but the steps could still help someone without such knowledge.  But I believe its most beneficial if you have a working knowledge of NT Greek.  I wonder what helps you as you preach.  Please leave a comment. 

No comments: