Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hearing God's Voice (even in Africa)


My friend Andrew Simms is in Burkina Faso.  He is on a quest to discover God's will for His life.  He is serving with Steve Nehlsen, Christian & Missionary Alliance missionary who directs ministry in Burkina Faso. His blog archives what they have done in the past.

I find it great that God would want to take Andrew to Africa so that He could talk to him.  That may sound weird to some people, but to those of us who want to hear God; sometimes God takes us to a remote place to commune with us so we can hear God's still, small voice.

To hear God's voice is not audible. For me its an impression, a thought, a leaning, a prompting; where I reflect on what I sense God wants me to do.  Then I compare that with what I already know from the Bible and align everything with my circumstances.  Next, I include a little reality (can I do it?).  Subsequently, I come to a conclusion to act upon what God has prompted (volition-I act upon it).

One helpful post online is given by Jack Voelkel at Urbana. He is responding to a college student's question about God's will.  He challenges the student to focus on doing God's will rather than seeking His will.  I find that refreshing.  

A few of many helpful places to read about discovering God's will for your life:

Books:
  • The Billy Graham Christian Workers Handbook (Worldwide Publications, Minneapolis: 1996): pp.293-295. An easy to share outline with steps to guide anyone inquiring about knowing God's will. You can download the resource in pdf format from this link.
  • Topical Memory System: Life Issues (NavPRess, Colorado Springs, CO: 1991): pp. 13-20. Book may be out of print, but Amazon gives a look inside where you can access the checklist for finding God's will.  I have used this checklist and it is very helpful.
  • Practical Christian Theology Floyd H. Barackman, (Fleming H. Revell Co, Old Tappan, NJ: 1984): Appendix F 386-391.  Barackman offers insight for ascertaining God's will in daily life, in moral matters, and in deciding between options.  My page numbers reflect the first edition. Check the fourth edition for correct page numbers. I like that he uses a lot of Scripture references.
Online:  I made a Google search (results link) but found the first few lacking helpful direction.
  • Crosswalk too cursory and vague
  • All About following Jesus:. the initial post is not as helpful as the link to an outline of George Muller's process. 
I wonder if you have come across anything that has helped you to discern God's will for your life.  Please post your discoveries as a comment below.  

      No comments: