Monday, October 11, 2010

Tribute to my friend Todd Scoles

As I try to put into words a tribute to my friend, I am at a loss for words. I am processing his loss slowly and privately.  I do miss my friend.

My tribute is more personal.  I recall meeting Todd Scoles at Grace College while he was working as Security for the campus and studying at Grace Theological Seminary earning an M.Div. I remember the lean, tall, blue-uniformed security guard on duty around the campus. He was friendly and engaged in conversation readily. It was here that I first heard his chuckle.

Todd was a great friend. We chatted several times while at Grace. As his relationship with Linda grew, my relationship with Todd increased.  We talked of ministry, classes, or books.  We discussed the latest challenge facing seminary students and ministry.  We could talk about many things. He was well read and offered good points and refuted counter-points readily.

Todd was a great minister. He served others too. I benefited from his benevolence. I needed a car for seminary. He gave me his old brown Plymouth Duster. Even in seminary or newly married both Todd and Linda gave to help others.  He served others.

Todd was a great leader. At Ashland GBC, he lead teams to come help out at the Grace Brethren Navajo Mission.  Each Spring Break Todd would mobilize people and resources and take teams on a 30-hour (or longer) odyssey from mid-Ohio to northwest New Mexico to serve Navajos and the mission staff.

Moreover, Todd was an excellent pastor.  I served with Todd at Northwest Chapel in Dublin, OH from 2001 to 2007.  He cared for the people and reinforced that people matter to God.  He shared life with many and always sought to challenge them to follow Christ more closely.  He shepherded God's people with skill.

Todd was also fun! He may come across as stoic when you saw him from a distance. One may even think, "geek!" But I will miss his funny side.  I can hear his playful sarcastic screech when mimicking or rehearsing funny dialogue. I laugh out loud recalling his geeky, mocking-tone when he wanted his overstatement to be pointed. He also had a pretty good Kermit the Frog voice impersonation. But I will miss his infectious laugh.  I had fun with Todd.

Todd was also competitive. I played ping-pong or table tennis with him. And he wanted to keep score. He wanted to win.  He played within the rules and enforced the rules so that there was fair play.  He loved to have fun and play games.  Even though our boys were quicker and getting stronger we played soccer against them.  I thought they let us win; but Todd usually thought we earned the win.  :)

I miss my friend as I reminisce. But one day he will greet me as I go to be with my friend some day.  I recall the final words from Gladiator spoken by Juba after his friend and warrior-hero died, "I will see you again...but not yet..not yet."

Read tribute from Brethren Missionary Herald (Terry White).

2 comments:

Pilgrim said...

I know my parents appreciated him.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Daron. Dad loved you and appreciated your friendship as well!