Sunday, November 28, 2010

"When all I wanted was to be wanted"

I got the opportunity to share with high school students this morning. The main points were:
  • You have to fight the lies with truth
  • You can feel accepted and valued
  • Everyone wants to be wanted.
  • Fight the greatest lie: "Superstar performances and great accomplishments will make you feel accepted and valued"
  • A Truth to affirm: "I am made in God's image (Genesis 2:27), therefore I can feel accepted no matter what the culture or others say or do"
  • Based on Psalm 139:14, I can fight the lies with this saying adapted from Nick Vujicic, "I am unique; a one and only; that's the way I am. Because God made me, I accept me; just the way I am"
  • What you can do is accept you. Accept yourself.
I mentioned a video clip that I can link to answer the question, "What if you get deformed after you are born from an accident or tragedy? Do you still bear God's image?" My answer is yes.

Links from the lesson:
photo from allday.com (March 25, 2009)
Check out this video clip of someone who has accepted his new view on life after surviving tragedy and then thriving in his life.  NBC did a story on Patrick Ivison where Jenna Wolfe interviews Patrick for the Today Show.  Here is the post and here is the watch video link about 7:30 minutes long (you will need to sit through a short commercial).

Here also is the link to Nick Vujicic's story, his website, and other video clips to view on your own. You can see Nick put on his headphones and turn on his Ipod without limbs. He is a man without limits.   

I mentioned that my first dance was to a song. I "danced" for the students. But I did not get the song to play. Here is the link to that song ("September" by Earth, Wind, & Fire). Yes, it dates me. But the peer pressure to be accepted pushed me to some silly things back in the day.

But I thank HSM for the opportunity to share this morning.  I wonder if you can come up with songs that affirm personhood in the world today. Please list them in the comments below.

No comments: