Friday, April 8, 2011

Soul Surfer Review

I saw the movie with my boys tonight (Fri Apr 8). I loved it!

One scene that resonated with me is the scene where the father is sitting with his daughter trying to figure out what to do after a tragedy in her life.  The picturesque location is the backdrop to a very challenging question, "Now what am I suppose to do after a tragedy?"

As a father, my job is to fix it. Find a solution. Figure out how to overcome it.  Yet my compulsion to help may not be the best practice at that moment.

Tom Hamilton (portrayed by Dennis Quaid) answers Bethany Hamilton's question (played by AnnaSophia Robb).  "You got to just stop and listen...for what's next!"

In other words, stop. Get quiet. Think. Listen. Hear what's next for you.

I just finished reading from I Samuel 1-3 today for devotions this morning. The young man Samuel responds to God's voice in the quietness of midnight. His words are simple, yet profound. "Speak, Lord; for your servant is listening (I Samuel 3:9)."

I wonder if you pause long enough to hear God "speak" to you; not in an audible voice, but prompt you, impress upon you a thought or a call to action.

I am convicted that I get so busy that I do not make time to hear from God. Let alone set aside time when things go wrong. I seldom get quiet. Pray. Listen for God to prompt me in my heart or mind.

Samuel got it right. May I listen to God's prompting and dialogue with Him. I must stop, get quiet, and listen for what is next.

God speaks to people. He reveals Himself and His will to humankind. He wants us to know Him, love Him, and follow Him.  I wonder if you'll take time to unplug. Find a place out in creation. Get quiet. And say, "Speak, Lord; for your servant is listening."  I wonder what you'll discover. Let me know what you discover. I'd love to hear.

No comments: