Thursday, February 2, 2012

How to use TWITTER to mobilize prayer

As I learn to harness technology to advance the cause of Christ, I wanted to post tweets for Kalahari so that people can join me in prayer.  I wondered if someone would want all twelve prayer request in one place via text only, no formatting.

I am sending tweets out so that people can pray throughout the day. I wished that I would have started earlier and tweeted at 12 past the hour. But I am going to tweet during the 12 o'clock hour to correspond to Kalahari 2012. Oh well! Next time I may do more planning. Please pray!

I took the 12 prayer requests sent out by the Kalahari 2012 Executive Team and created tweets for each one. I tested to see if the hashtag #Kalahari12 was already taken. It was not. So I hijacked the hashtag for my posts. I hope others will use the hashtag to post what's going on there. Next, I decided to tweet most of the 12 prayer requests during the 12 o'clock hour. It's when people are at lunch in the Eastern Time Zone and may allow people to stop and to pray for this event. I also created a bit.ly shortened link to track clicks. As of one hour, the link got 2 click-throughs. Nice!

So in sum, I learned to use the follow tips to harness Twitter to mobilize prayer for Kalahari:
  • Create a tweet for each prayer request, intending to leave enough room for people to retweet (RT).
  • Discover a hashtag (#) to use for your tweets
  • Draft a plan when you'll tweet
  • Use a link shortening program to track your clicks to see how effective you were
Please let me know in the comments how this post will help you pray for Kalahari and how to harness Twitter to mobilize prayer. 


Prayer Tweets for Kalahari 2012: Pray for #Kalahari12

ONE: Ask God to prompt hundreds of students to commit to walk with Christ by awakening to abundant life. Pls RT

TWO: May God the Holy Spirit empower Dave & Mark to have godly wisdom as they work with resort.

THREE: Ask the Lord to catalyze life change in adult leaders to connect, converse, and challenge students. Pls RT

FOUR: Ask God to be glorified and to bless the Kalahari staff throughout our conference. Pls RT

FIVE: May the dramas and testimonies connect with students as Ben develops the 4 main sessions. Pls RT

SIX: Ask God the Holy Spirit to prompt everyone to keep the unity of the Spirit thru the bond of peace (Eph 4:3).

SEVEN: Pray for Exodus to be great role models, on & off stage. May dynamic worship thrive all weekend long!

EIGHT: Ask the Lord for safety, no illness, no snow, no injuries before, during, and after Kalahari12.

NINE: Ask God to create seamless session experiences thru the tech crew as Zach leads the team.

TEN: May God the Holy Spirit empower Clayton King to challenge students to be more like Jesus!

ELEVEN: Let Soar Dunk share Christ clearly as they perform a trampoline acrobatic basketball dunk show.

TWELVE: Ask the Lord to help develop lifelong friendships that honor God for every student & adult this weekend.

No comments: