Thursday, October 18, 2012

Things to do in Secret

I wonder if you ever wanted to be in the Secret Service. Black Shades. Dark suit. Bullet-proof vest. Those physical attributes mark a Secret Service agent protecting the presidential candidates. I've seen them on TV.

But I wonder if you know that God asks us to serve in secret.

In our family devotions, we read Matthew 6 where Jesus tells His Disciples to practice righteousness without being noticed by people. I find this so challenging. I often feel that I need an "atta-boy" every now and again. Yet I remind myself that God calls me to serve others in secret or in an anonymous manner. It's not about me. It's about Christ magnified!

The passage describes how to practice righteousness in secret. The three ways to do secret service are:
  • When you give to the poor (6:1-4)
  • When you pray (6:5-6)
  • When you fast (6:16-17)

Giving to the poor anonymously is possible. You can text to give a contribution. No one knows. No one sees. Praying in quiet, solitude in your closet or in an inner room is do-able. You can pray alone with God in the inner sanctum of your house. Fasting to focus on God is a challenge. You can fast one meal, then two meals, then all day. Do so without overtly drawing attention to yourself.

Do what's right! Don't be the spotlight. Do it in secret!

You will change.  You will see what you do differently. You will acquire a renewed, godly perspective on how to practice righteousness in the world.  Serve in the Secret Service of God.

No comments: