Sunday, November 18, 2012

On Sunday, I went to jail

Wayne Country Justice Center
As I proceeded through the first of several locked doors, my heart raced. If something were to happen, then I would not be able to get out. I wondered what God had in store for me.

I had the privilege of sharing a short sermon at the Wayne Country Justice Center. Gary Shafer and I were invited guests of Russ & Phil who minister every third Sunday at the jail. We sang hymns, prayed for prayer requests, and shared God's Word.

One poignant moment was when a man declared that he wanted prayer for his addiction. He asked us to pray for him and his family to overcome substance addiction. I was excited for him, but then heard his "friends" snicker around him. How diffusing! Here a man wants to change but the guys he is in jail with him tear him down. Regardless, Russ encouraged him by praying for him despite the comedic negativity. May God change lives in the jail for His glory!

I praise God for the Wayne United Chaplain Ministries for their faithful ministry. They serve to see peoples' lives changed so that families are strengthened and society is better. You can write to encourage them with a financial contribution:

Wayne United Chaplain Ministries
P.O. Box 663
Wooster OH  44691

No comments: