Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Best Way to Start Thanksgiving--Celebrate Communion


I celebrate Communion because of what Jesus Christ has done for me and for all believers in Christ. Together with other believers we observe what Jesus directed all Christ followers to obey (Mark 14:12-26; John 13:1-17; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34).  I have learned how each component of communion is a a symbol about the great work of Christ Himself.

My church (Grace Church) celebrates the Communion Service twice a year.  The communion service resembles the Last Supper of Jesus in the Upper Room and has three parts: The Love Feast, Footwashing, and the Bread and the Cup.  For more explanation, please visit our webpage for video teaching from our Senior Pastor, Bob Fetterhoff.  
Celebrating Communion is the best way for me to start the Thanksgiving Holiday.  I return to harmony. I remember what God has done for me in Christ by partaking of each aspect of Communion. Then, I recall who God is as I sing songs with other followers of Christ and read Scripture passages aloud together. 

And subsequently, I reaffirm who I am in Christ as a fully devoted follower of Christ. I am loved (I John 4:10). I am more than a hired servant. I am a child of God (John 1:12). I am a child of the King! I'm a prince of the Lord God Almighty!  


Therefore, my top ten reasons for celebrating Communion follows (in no particular order). Celebrating Communion...
  • Slows me down so I can draw closer to God.
  • Challenges me to get right with God.
  • Brings me together with God's people
  • Leads me to sing about God's love, grace, and mercy
  • Invites me to share a meal together with friends who follow Christ with me
  • Offers me the chance to discover what others are facing in life
  • Provides me an opportunity to receive encouragement from friends
  • Allows me to hear how God has been faithful in people's lives
  • Renews my commitment to follow Jesus better
  • Helps me remember what Jesus did for me
I wonder why you celebrate Communion. Or I wonder if you have a question about Communion.  Please post a comment to share why you celebrate Communion or post a question. 


No comments: