Friday, November 20, 2009

Five reasons to see "The Blind Side"


When my wife and I saw the movie, we both thought this story fit well with the sermon series at Wooster Grace--Passion for Compassion.  Do something good for somebody else.  You may need to check your motives throughout the process, but take action.  Reach out. 

My five reasons to see the movie:
  • The true story--based on Michael Lewis' book "The Blind Side: the evolution of a game."  I watched on Monday Night Football and heard Mike Tirico share about Oher. 
  • The raw emotions--engaging in the ups-and-downs of intervention vicariously through the main characrter.  The movie doesn't shy away from stereotypes and how you have to deal with them.  Straight, dead-on. 
  • The unique challenge--stepping outside your comfort zone to help someone out.  When the main character, starts to step out you feel how she is processing it as she goes along, like real life. 
  • The real dilemna--battling with guilt for not helping others out.  You can feel the tension of guilt in the movie. But don't get hung up on the emotion.  Let it settle.  Don't get distracted and engage the story.
  • The ongoing battle--what can I do for someone else? After watching the credits role and seeing the real pictures of Michael Oher. I felt a push in my inner heart.  Would I be willing to do what that family did?  Could I do it? 
One of my favorite scenes is the realization of the main character to begin to understand poverty and want to do something. They deal with the realities and its scary.  It's difficult. But they choose to act.  Check out more clips from YouTube trailers. 

You should go to this movie!  A couple of reviews are out from Rotten Tomatoes and Ann Hornaday (Washington Post), but I believe you'll enjoy this movie.  You may even get motivated and consider helping  someone out--even a neighbor. 

No comments: