Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sample prayer for those new to prayer

photo by Lel4nd
It occurred to me that sometimes you need a sample prayer to get started. For those of you new to praying for the world, I follow an acronym A.C.T.S. = Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, & Supplication.

Adoration is adoring God for an attribute that comes to mind. I find myself marveling at His greatness in creation. Confession is getting right with the Lord by confessing my sins to Him.  I verbally forgive those who sinned against me and then ask God's forgiveness for those I sinned against. I note people that I need to go and make things right with also.  Next, I offer thanks to God for anything that comes to mind.  Lastly, I ask God to answer my requests.  Supplication = humble prayers or petitions to God for the things I need and want.

Therefore, I put them together with today's prayer request like this:

"Dear Heavenly Father, I praise You for the sunshine. It's warmth and daily cycle glorifies You.  I confess that I forget Your greatness in Creation. I am surrounded and attached to technology.  But I ask your forgiveness for allowing man-made items divert my attention from considering your greatness in creation.  Please forgive my distractions--which distract me from You!  I thank you for life eternal in Jesus. I thank you for my family.  I thank you for forgiveness of sins.  Please forgive me for leaving home without kissing my wife--I failed to show my love for her by rushing out the door. May I make it right with her when I see her next. I ask that you forgive the terse waitress this morning.  May our friendly manner and generous tips glorify you, O God.  I pray that Your Holy Spirit brings unity to the multinational teams in Africa. Keep the Evil One, Satan from sowing seeds of discord.  May your love permeate every key leader in Africa as well as every missionary.  May everyone see and witness Your love flowing so that all will know that we are your disciples.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

Post your pray here or on the Wall of the Facebook Global Prayer Walk event page for March 4.  Or link to your blog or video to help others pray during the Global Prayer Walk.  I bet everyone would like to see how others pray.  We can all learn from each other. You can view my short video for a call to prayer.

No comments: