Sunday, July 25, 2010

What is your totem?

Spinning top Inception
thanks to nolanfans.com for image
Last night I watched Inception with Cord, Dave, Mike, and Jeff. I joined them last minute.  I loved the movie. It was like the Matrix; but challenging to follow from the start.

In the movie, the only way to discern reality from dream is to craft a totem (link spoiler warning: please stop, if you have not seen the movie; then follow link after you see the movie) that will clarify you are dreaming or you are in reality.  As I reviewed the movie in my mind as I drove home, it occurred to me that the Bible is my totem.

The Bible not only clarifies reality, "In the beginning God create the heavens and the earth;" but it also defines reality.  The first ten chapters of the Bible sets the parameters for life here on earth. The last chapters of the Bible sketches the outcome of life on earth and into eternity.  I praise God for the Bible which defines reality.  The Bible is meant for the real practical-world of life; not just the factual, cerebral knowledge in your head.

As Ellie points out from her comments linked below that totems serve as "wake-up calls" from the dream state.  Likewise, the Bible is also a "wake-up call" for those who are not facing reality from a biblical worldview. 

For other thought-provoking  reviews, include, but are not limited to:
  • Visit the official website: you'll have to dig into the site to find the movie synopsis.
  • Ellie has an interesting perspective about the movie 
  • You can also view the trailer and a clip easist from the imdb website.
  • Mali Elfman of Screen Cave posted an interview with director Christopher Nolan
I wonder what you think about my connection that the Bible could be considered as a totem as portrayed in the movie, Inception.

No comments: