Friday, July 2, 2010

Who is Jesus and what difference does it make

photos from epsos.de & stefano mezzone
I enjoyed sharing at Four14 last night. I shared three things about who you are in Christ based on who Jesus is in the first two Gospels.

I presented them with "I am" statements.  I chose three from the many features of who you are in Christ.  Let me list them.

  • I am a seeker (Matthew 6:33-34)--I can seek God.
  • I am a follower (Matthew 28:16-20)--I can follow God.
  • I am a servant (Mark 10:43-45)--I can serve sacrificially.
Because Jesus is King (book of Matthew), I can seek God's kingdom first.  Matthew 6:33 challenges me to consider making Christ the one I seek.  If Jesus is King, then I must seek Him.

Because Jesus is King, I can follow Him.  But I must follow Him with full devotion. I follow by obeying all that He commands (Matthew 28:20).  If Jesus is King, then I must follow Him.

Because Jesus is Servant (book of Mark), I can serve sacrificially.  I must serve like Jesus did.  I must strive to serve rather than be served (Mark 10:45).  If Jesus is Servant, then I must serve sacrificially.

A distorted view of Jesus will mess your life up.  One distortion of Jesus is seeing Him as a bossy temperamental supervisor.  Jesus is the benevolent monarch wanting you to seek Him and to follow Him.  Another distortion of Jesus is viewing Him as an all-powerful genie.  Jesus is the sacrificial servant who suffered to help everyone.  He wants you to serve like Him.

To clarify who Jesus claims to be, impacts who you are in Christ. Once you better understand who Jesus is and who you are in Christ, you remove the obstacle in discovering who God wants you to be and where you fit in this world.

I am still learning how to living out of my being rather than work out of my doing.  I praise God for the Bible to instruct and to correct me.  May I move toward seeking God daily, following Him completely, and serving Him sacrificially everyday.

No comments: