Sunday, November 7, 2010

Real Native American reacts to Reel Injun

photo from toronto film scene
Last month, I watched PBS and the Independent Lens show, "Reel Injun." It was on late about 11:30pm (or 10:30pm daylight savings). View a clip from PBS here. In the clip cited, two Navajo elders view the finished film for the first time. I recall that my grandpa Richard was also an extra in the John Ford movie, "The Searchers."  I'll have to ask my relatives what he said to them about his experience.

I digress.

"Reel Injun" was thought-provoking. I felt all the basic emotions. I felt anger for the misrepresentation of Native Peoples. I felt afraid that what is misrepresented will remain as the permanent caricature of Native Americans. I felt sad that we were not part of the process of film-making.  Non-Native Americans made the films.  We were merely in the films.  I felt glad that others are telling their stories now in film. I felt giddy as translation of the Navajo in some films were revealed to others. I had not viewed all the movie clips where Navajo was spoken.  It was intriguing how these emotions emerged.  Overall, I am so glad that Reel Injun was made.  Thanks!

The mis-portrayal of Native Americans is not only centered on movies, but also found in "Blood & Thunder" books. Scott Simon of NPR interviewed Hampton Sides (9 min interview) back in 2006 when his book "Blood & Thunder" was released recounting the manifest destiny of Kit Carson's campaign against the Navajo people.  Author Hampton Sides describes "the blood and thunder" reports caricaturing Native Americans as blood-thirsty savages in paperback stories in the Old West. 

What the Native American is or was, is lost when viewed through the prism of manifest destiny.  Yet the documentary "Reel Injun" shows a different view.  It provides a different perspective on Native Americans in film. I wonder what you think. One of the online discussion questions provided in the discussion guide states, "Before seeing Reel Injun, what [is] your image or idea of the American Indian? How did you develop that image?"  Please answer that question in the comments below.  I'd love to read your comments. 

Other reviews of Reel Injun:
You can also read director Neil Diamond (not Jazz Singer icon) share his thoughts on the Independent Lens blog. Incidentally, the Blood and Thunder book is a movie in development with DreamWorks Studios for 2012. 

    No comments: