Thursday, December 16, 2010

Narnia: Dawn Treader Review

Movie Poster
My son and I watched Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader together on Tuesday night. I am so glad that we did something together. I enjoy time with him.

I liked the movie because it addressed the challenge facing every person: temptation.  In whatever form, temptation prowls like a spectre in the shadows of your mind, flesh, and pride.  Temptation is "the fact or state of being tempted; especialy to evil."  On this voyage of searching for seven lost lords, Lucy & Edmund get reacquainted with Prince Caspian (now King of Narnia).  Towing cousin Eustace and rejoining Reepicheep (warrior mouse) they embark on an adventure to confront evil within and without to rid Narnia of evil's fearful grip on the world with the help of Aslan.

I like the dark features to this film. Yes, it feels heavy handed to portray evil so darkly. But in my opinion, evil is darkness.  Truth is light.  I enjoyed the stark contrast of light and dark in the film.

I believe the message of the movie is anyone can overcome evil with the help of God and others.  Although the film makes you think that overcoming evil is a once-for-all battle, life exacts an on-going struggle and skirmishes with temptation.  Only until reaching the shores of Aslan's kingdom does Reepicheep give up the struggle against temptation and seek to enjoy life eternal without evil. 
I think the movie is good. It engages life in realistic terms within the fantasy story. The film prompts me to re-read the book again. 

Overall, I give it a thumbs up. Make time to go see it on the big screen. But if you can, be frugal and seek to watch it during the matinee.  Although rated PG, I would refrain from taking little children because the temptation scenes are intense.  Over the Christmas break, I'd go see it.  Then come back and post your comments below. I'd love to hear you take on the message of the movie and if you liked it or not. 

Other random reviews to check out:
  • MrDawnTreader loves the book and sees the message of redemption throughout. Rating: hot.
  • Luke Thompson gives a fair review, but only gives it a warm rating, but not hot.   
  • Merrick offers a cooler review. But think before you defend. He may have a few good points.
A resource for youth leaders is available from InterLinc. Thanks for providing a Voyage of the Dawn Treader YouthWorker Guide.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I saw it with the girls the Sunday after it came out, and we all loved it - planning to go back and see it in 3D. I really liked the fact that they didn't feel the need to add in too much and just told the story.

I think they do include an ongoing reality of temptation as Jadis has been part of each movie, and I think they're setting her up to be in the role of the green witch who kills Caspian's wife in The Silver Chair. There were repeated episodes of temptation throughout the movie.

As for the ease of the end of temptation, well, the Bible does say that if we resist, the devil will flee. They resisted, temptation fled.