Friday, November 4, 2011

I forgive Kris Jenner for her "Indian Giver" gaffe

Photo from HuffPost Celebrity
How ironic during National Native American Heritage Month, Kris Jenner's use of "indian giver" spotlights the challenge of racially biased stereotypes in our language.  Yesterday on Good Morning America Kris made her gaffe as she commented about Kris Humphries' request to get back the engagement ring he gave Kim Kardashian.

I highlight two posts that cover the story better than I.
  • "Indian Giver" comment. Jen Chaney & Sara Anne Hughes provide a quick overview of the issue, then direct you to a Seinfeld episode where Jerry struggles with the language of prejudice. I wonder if you laughed at his gaffe or gasped at his insensitivity. 
  • HuffPost Celebrity provides a response from the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI). Please read their comments to get a snapshot of the wide perspective of people concerning this "incident."
  • Indian Country posts NCAI statement 
  • Indian Country reviews origin of "indian giver" term
I forgive Kris for her thoughtless gaffe. "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us (Luke 11:4)." I make careless remarks too. I do hope she offers an apology though. 

I believe what Jesus says is true regarding careless words, "But I tell you that men (humankind) will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words, you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned (Matthew 12:36-37)." 

May our words be careful rather than careless everyday.

No comments: