Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Up, up, and away

Up, up, and away by the Fifth Dimension

photo from blogspot

I recently watched the movie, "Up," with my family. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's another Pixar win.

My wife and I briefly remarked that we love the stories they tell. In fact the Pixar short is also done very well. You'll have to see it for yourself.

The theme of taking an adventure before it's too late moved me. I tend to procrastinate. Okay, I do put things off. But I watched how a kid's movie urged me to begin making more plans for the future.

Sure, the main character is an animated person who is elderly. And I am a middle-aged man. But the thought of putting adventure off until later. Then to be at the end of life without family and without any prospects for adventure prodded me to reconsider what I want to do. I guess you could call it an epiphany, but really, I allowed the story to influence the direction of my life.

You may think this is kinda strange--a movie moving someone--but I find it fascinating. I can engage anything in life and see it influence my life.

I also like the sub-theme of what an adventure is. In the movie the protagonist's spouse writes a summary that puts perspective on life. What she writes you'll have to see in the movie. But I was also moved to engage the potential of the present rather than await the potential regret of the future. So all in all, I enjoyed the movie and initiated plans to engage the present.

Jesus said for each follower of Christ to live life abundantly. Abundant life awaits me. I just need to engage.

Go see the movie and make plans to take an adventure.

No comments: